Becky-dot-blog

She rambles a little, rants a little, and otherwise chronicles daily life in southwestern Virginia.

Monday, August 08, 2005

The End of an Era

As a reporter myself, I can't let the passing of Peter Jennings go without comment.

The man was an inspiration to people like me, proof that you didn't have to know someone or have big bucks to hit the big time. What you have to have is guts and determination, and a talent for storytelling.

As recently as this past year, I was referring would-be reporters who interned under me to Jennings' newscasts as the best of the "big three" in terms of delivery style. The man typed with two fingers and was a high school drop out, but it didn't matter. He was smart and articulate and good on his feet.

It's a sad testament against smoking... but a good chance to point to one of the last great men in the golden era of broadcasting. There will never be anyone else like him, and for that, I am sad. The McNews that passes for content is just not the same.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home