Becky-dot-blog

She rambles a little, rants a little, and otherwise chronicles daily life in southwestern Virginia.

Thursday, July 14, 2005

You Can't Keep a Good Toddler Down (For Long)

I've seen my boy chasing a robot with his cousins while suffering with undiagnosed pneumonia... running circles around Mommy and Daddy with an ear infection... jumping off the back of the couch (fortunately onto the seat rather than the floor) with a bad cold... but I know now what it takes to make him sit still.

103 degrees.

Sam's only had a fever that high twice now - once when he was just under a year old, during a bout with a stomach bug that landed him in the doctor's office with an IV to rehydrate him. The second time was yesterday.

You know something's wrong with a small boy when he climbs up into your lap and stays there. "Hold, Mama," he told me, in the most pitiful voice. He was burning up. So of course I held him for what seemed like ages, and complied with all of his demands - things like "E-I-0, Mama" (translation = Mother Dearest, please sing Old MacDonald Had a Farm") and "Mo malk, Mama" (translation = "I would really appreciate another cup of milk").

This morning, he was up and at 'em before the sun, and back to his usual bouncy self. I was awakened to him jumping up and down more or less on top of the dog, which you can imagine my bovine little Beagle didn't appreciate. "Mooooo," said Charlie. So I separated the boy and the canine, and life is back to normal.

Nothing more pitiful than a toddler that doesn't feel like pestering the dog, even. So in that sense, it was kind of good to see him recover so quick. Unfortunately, I'm not recovered yet! Too bad I can't climb on someone's lap and demand they wait on me hand and foot, eh?

1 Comments:

  • At 1:52 PM, Blogger Thomas J Wolfenden said…

    LOL

    Kids are so resilient. They bounce back from near-disaters so rapidly it's mind boggling. My niece had a feaver so bad once when she was about 5 tears old. She was having halucinations.

    The next day she's running around the house like a Whirling Dervish...

    I'm glad he's better. As for crawling up on someone's lap, try it with your husband next time you're feeling low. You might be surprized at his reaction!

    ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home