Becky-dot-blog

She rambles a little, rants a little, and otherwise chronicles daily life in southwestern Virginia.

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Unbelieveable!

Have you been following the developments with the Newsweek story that may have sparked Afghan riots? (See the mag's apology here.)

I've been staying pretty quiet on this while I process it, but I can't really stay too quiet for too long. As a journalist, I am appalled. Even if the riots weren't caused by the magazine's report (which I suspect may be the case - the way terrorists work, it would make sense for them to comb through American literature and news print, looking for excuses to be offended and rile their people up)... even IF that isn't the case, it's incredibly irresponsible to report something you haven't thoroughly checked out.

Anyone of us could make a mistake. I know that. I've made them. But it seems to me on a story of that kind of magnitude, you double-check and you triple-check and then you check again... to make sure everything is exactly as it should be. It's too late to apologize once the damage is done.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:03 AM, Blogger Thomas J Wolfenden said…

    This stuff just pisses me off to no end... But it really doesn't surprise me.

    As a cop for 10 years I tend not to trust most members of the "Fourth Estate"... I've seen far too much slanted reporting. I know some aren't like that, one reporter in Roanoke I know for instance... ;)

    What get's me is this guy will probably get a promotion.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home