Becky-dot-blog

She rambles a little, rants a little, and otherwise chronicles daily life in southwestern Virginia.

Friday, December 23, 2005

Free Speech If You Can Get It

As a reporter, I've mostly enjoyed pretty open access to our government leaders on the local level, and even to a small extent on the state and national level.

Until now.

For the first time ever, I am seriously considering having to file a complaint about First Amendment violations that have inhibited my role as a member of the fourth estate.

When the mayor first took office a year and a half ago, he held a "surprise" news conference with three other council members to announce a fifth member's appointment to council. This was not a vote, but since they knew they had the votes, they went ahead and announced it. They did not invite the two remaining council members, they did not one of our television stations, and they did not invite the public.

At the time, I was seriously concerned that this was a breach of the open meetings law because the four of them could constitute a quorum. However, no vote was actually taken, and the excluded TV station didn't plan to file a complaint, so I let it go.

It did not occur to me until this week, when I really started to re-examine some other things that have happened in recent weeks, that this press conference in late June or early July 2004, may actually have been the first of many violations of the open meetings rules, and a much bigger breach than I had first thought.

Strictly speaking, anyone can call a press conference and invite whoever they want to invite. BUT in Virginia, if the people who call the conference are elected officials, and IF what they discuss can be construed as official business... that's a meeting. You can't invite the press without the public to an open meeting, and you can't invite the public without the press. In other words, once you have what appears to be an official meeting, it has to be open to all, not just some. There has to be advance, written, printed notice of this type of meeting. (There wasn't.)

Add this to a few other infractions along the way (most notably, restrictions on public comment at two public meetings, one in November and again this week). The more I think about the big picture of all of this, the more concerned I am about the state of free speech, open government, and free press in our area.

Am I going to complain to the ACLU? The Jefferson Center? The open government coalition? I'm not sure.

On the one hand, I feel an obligation to do... something.

On the other hand, I feel an equal obligation not to get involved as doing so propels me from being an objective observer who can accurately report on the events into being more an active participant. Then I would feel compelled to "recuse" myself from any future reporting on the players involved... which would in effect mean I could not cover city council until more than half of it has been replaced. Not to mention what a complaint would do to my relationship with most of the city council members, with whom at this point I have been amicable and whom I consider good sources for story material.

So you see I have quite a quandary.

What I have done so far, is to report the truth, which is my first and foremost obligation. I did interview a representative from VCOG about some of this. I aired the concerns of one of the council members who was concerned over the limits on public comment. I also aired the "justification" for those limits from the council members in the majority position.

I see my job as more than a job. It's a calling. People who do what I do have a precious gift from the founders of our country: constitutional protection. No other job in the country can claim that. It's a beautiful freedom; it also comes with great responsibility. I would be lying if I said all reporters feel that way -- I know better. But I can't speak for them, I can only speak for me. I view all of these through the tinted lenses of what I view as my responsibility and calling as a journalist.

Will I do something? Probably. But what? When? And how?

5 Comments:

  • At 1:03 PM, Blogger Thomas J Wolfenden said…

    Hmmmm.... I don't know. That's a part of the law that I sadly know little about and I should.

    What annoys me the most when I hear of politicians doing somthing like that is the arrogance of it. Like they think they're smarter than us, therefore we don't know what's good for us and they alone know what's best.

    Do what you think is right.

     
  • At 4:04 PM, Blogger David Meigs said…

    I applaud your integrity. This is no easy quandary to solve without consequences to your career. I’m sure you will do the right thing.

    I want to wish you a very merry CHRISTmas!

     
  • At 4:19 PM, Blogger Normandie Fischer said…

    Becky,
    Whenever I'm faced with something like this--well, not exactly like this, but some dilemma that has enough pros and cons to be confusing--I ask the Lord for his wisdom, which he has promised to give us if we ask. I believe that he will confirm his direction wiht his peace, the peace that passes understanding. When I rush after my own ideas--or ideals--without waiting for his leading, I feel an unease. The Lord isn't in a hurry. I don't have to make a decision until I KNOW and until I have that peace. I'm praying right now that he will direct your path and that you will be able to rest in the knowledge that he will lead you.
    Blessings,
    Normandie

     
  • At 11:19 AM, Blogger Rebecca LuElla Miller said…

    Becky, we had something very similar a number of years back. As I recall, our city council met and decided on land to buy for a new school, then had the official meeting to rubber stamp it. A clear violation. It was eventually reversed.

    You might want to check it out (research the Whittier Daily News--in SoCal) or others you may hear of to see what steps were taken.

    You might also inquire from from the American Center for Law and Justice, Jay Sekulow (though they usually deal with assaults on religious freedom).

    Becky

     
  • At 8:40 AM, Blogger lindaruth said…

    I'm a little late to the party but I think your best source of advice would be either your state press association or the open government coalition you made reference too. In Kansas, the state press association has an attorney who gives advice (often free!) on such issues. He also goes out with a professor from the University of Kansas (expert in media law) to give workshops on open government. I don't know if there's anyone who does stuff like that in Virginia, but sometimes a presentation about open government (for public and officials, as well as media) can be a helpful way of getting the issue in the open. And sometimes, public officials act more out of ignorance than deliberate desire to keep the public out of the decision-making process (though I don't think that's what this sounds like).
    Just the thoughts of a former reporter.
    Linda

     

Post a Comment

<< Home