Becky-dot-blog

She rambles a little, rants a little, and otherwise chronicles daily life in southwestern Virginia.

Thursday, October 06, 2005

I Have a New Hobby

Not that I really have spare time, but...

I have taken up sewing.

Do you know how wrong that looks on my computer screen? I am Betty Crocker's nemesis. Martha Stewart yells, "It's not a good thing!" when she sees me coming. I have no idea what the difference between braise, broil or burn is. (Just ask my family!)

But I decided to remedy my lack of domestic knowledge after my mom died last summer. Mom always promised to teach me to sew, but between us we kept putting it off and I never learned. One of the things I inherited was her sewing machine, and now I have learned how to use it. I'm far from good - in fact, I'm rather bad, but I enjoy it immensely and I did manage to make a rather crude train-patterned blanket for my engineer - oops, I mean, my son, Sam-the-Man.

Who knows? Maybe I'll even learn to cook next.

2 Comments:

  • At 3:30 PM, Blogger Refreshment in Refuge said…

    Congratulations on the blanket!!

    Becky, I LOVE to sew! I have suits and dresses and lots of things in my closet that I would never have had if I didn't know how to sew. One of my friends asked me last year if I'd made a trip to Liz Clairborne's outlet when she saw my new suit. I can't sew for other people, though. It's too hard to make clothes look like the picture on the pattern LOL. I never look as svelt as those chicks on the patterns!

     
  • At 6:17 AM, Blogger Thomas J Wolfenden said…

    I'm a rare guy that can actually sew... And even have my own little sewing kit, thank you very much!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home