Becky-dot-blog

She rambles a little, rants a little, and otherwise chronicles daily life in southwestern Virginia.

Thursday, June 30, 2005

Cabin Fever

I am so ready for a vacation.

I can't wait to take a few days and have no plans or hurries or worries or phone calls or scanner traffic or keyboards or pagers beeping or faxes printing or newscasts or... you get the idea.

True, I can't exactly escape (nor would I want to) my little boy. But the rest of it? I'm ready to leave it all behind and re-charge my duracells.

Sometimes, I just have to see the ocean. I know that sounds nutty, but let me explain. I do not believe in past lives... but had I lived a century or more ago, and been a man... I think I might have been a sailor. The sea actually calls to me. I just itch to feel its spray on my face and smell the salty fragrance of unhatched dreams, imagine the possibilities on the distant shores and think about where the wind may take me.

As a child, I discovered this poem that sums up exactly what I mean:

Sea-Fever
by John Masefield

I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,
And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea's face and a grey dawn breaking.

I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull's way and the whale's way where the wind's like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:23 AM, Blogger Thomas J Wolfenden said…

    I have t oagree with you, although it's been years since I've seen the ocean. Arizona wasn't real close to the ocean and now it's just financial reasons keeping me away. I crew up going to the New Jersey shore in the summer and also spent some summeris in Maine with my oldest sister who's lived there since 79'.

    Have a great trip, and good luck with the new shift. I know how much you hated getting up so early. I'm not a morning person either.

     
  • At 9:25 PM, Blogger Brooke Lee said…

    WOW! It must be in our blood. I have always felt the same way - did you know that? I hate to admit it, but I didn't realize you felt the same. Isn't that cool?! Now I really have some motivation to go ahead and get that summer beach house I've always wanted. :0)

    Love,
    Sis

     

Post a Comment

<< Home