Becky-dot-blog

She rambles a little, rants a little, and otherwise chronicles daily life in southwestern Virginia.

Monday, March 07, 2005

Do Yourself a Favor...

...and check out a "classic" at the library.

Just finished reading Doctor Zhivago, Boris Pasternak's novel set in the revolutionary period in Russia. Sure, it's slow to start and finishes long before the book actually does, but... how can you argue the wonder of this:

"Outside there was no trace of the road, the graveyard, or the kitchen garden, nothing but the blizzard, the air smoking with snow. It was almost as if the snowstorm had caught sight of Yura and, conscious of its power to terrify, roared and howled, doing everything possible to impress him. Turning over and over in the sky, length after length of whiteness unwound over the earth and shrouded it. The blizzard was alone in the world; it had no rival." (Pasternak, 4).

Do yourself a favor... go re-read a classic.

2 Comments:

  • At 2:21 PM, Blogger DivineMsN said…

    I love Dr. Zhivago. Right now I am reading The Fountainhead. Talk about long! After Gone With The Wind I swore I would never do that again. I am a glutton for punishment :)

     
  • At 10:14 PM, Blogger Thomas J Wolfenden said…

    I prefer the older stuff... Like Dickens & Defoe, but Dr. Zhivago was one I liked. I'll go to the library this week and pick it up.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home