Becky-dot-blog

She rambles a little, rants a little, and otherwise chronicles daily life in southwestern Virginia.

Friday, March 04, 2005

Declaring War on Misused Punctuation

If there is one thing I detest... it's this: people who can't get a grasp on when to 's and when not to 's.

The misused apostrophe is so completely overdone, I fear before long teachers will decide, like "whom," that not enough people use it correctly so they won't bother teaching it anymore.

Come on, this is not that difficult!

If it's one girl who owns a book, it's the girl's book.

If it's two girls who own the book, it's the girls' book.

It's only has an apostrophe when you can substitute the words "it is" for the it's.

Don't make me come over there with my red pen.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:32 PM, Blogger Thomas J Wolfenden said…

    That's the ONE thing that drives me absolutly insane... I saw a poster once:

    PUPPY'S FOR SALE
    555-2121

    I was Soooooo tempted to call the number and ask what the puppies had for sale...

     
  • At 11:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    How about 'your' and 'you're' - misused ALL the time!

    Its you're crazy friend righting this!

    :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home