Becky-dot-blog

She rambles a little, rants a little, and otherwise chronicles daily life in southwestern Virginia.

Thursday, August 19, 2004

Only in the Capital of the Backwoods...

*sigh*

I shouldn't start off a blog with a sigh, but there it is. There's no escaping it.

Only in the capital of the backwoods (where I live, oddly enough)... would someone ask me if kids in my hometown skip school the first day of hunting season.

I know I'm in an oasis of civilization floating in a sea of -- well, the backwoods --but just because I'm from a state that has a similar reputation means I grew up in a cabin, barefoot and with missing teeth... or that I dropped out of school after third grade to "git hitched"... or any of a number of other stereotypes.

No, kids in my hometown did not skip school the first day of hunting season. But in case you were curious... yes, there was a serious dip in attendance here in the capital of the backwoods on the first day of hunting season.

Don't get me started on how y'all mess up the spelling of my favorite contraction. Spelling it "ya'll" is an abomination.

I'm proud of my heritage, dagnabit. But I'm tired of defending myself against those who are clearly too ignorant to know better.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:51 AM, Blogger michael snyder said…

    Can I ever relate to that? I realize now that growing up in SW VA, I was like the frog in the saucepan reaching the boiling point. Distance brought clarity. Now my struggle is to keep my enormous, yet well cammouflaged, pride in check. But that'll never happen.

    Anyway, hope y'all make it through hunting season.

    At least they don't say "fixin'" in VA. Or at least they didn't used to.

    Great post. Have a great weekend.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home