Becky-dot-blog

She rambles a little, rants a little, and otherwise chronicles daily life in southwestern Virginia.

Friday, August 13, 2004

Music Fuels the Soul

Have you ever found that music is the balm that soothes over even the roughest patches of your life?

No matter what hard time I'm in, if I look back, almost always there's some song I associate with my passing through that time.

After my first real "break-up," it was Lisa Loeb's "I Do," kind of a break-up song in itself, now that I think of it, that got me through the first little bit and empowered me that I could be successful just being ME. Later... the song that re-defined my newfound independence was also Lisa Loeb, "Wishing Heart" from the same album. I guess in retrospect my heart was wishing for something more because that segued right into my re-discovery of Jesus. (I had fallen pretty far from him in college. I was definitely not a party girl... it is amazing to me, looking back, how far I strayed even though nothing I did was so completely outrageous. It crept up on me.)

In this newest journey of my life, I'm learning to live without my mom. I find these days it's a new song getting me through, a newversion of an old hymn, "I Need Thee Every Hour" by Selah. It's true, I do need Him every hour. He is my most precious Lord. It helps to remember that now more than ever.

I could give you at least a hundred other important life moments that I associate, almost instantly, with some piece of music.

Blessed be the musicmakers... for God is using them in such a mighty way.


2 Comments:

  • At 1:03 AM, Blogger michael snyder said…

    Becky,

    Couldn't agree more about blessing the musicmakers. My music obsession borders on an addiction.

    Just picked up Lisa Loeb's brand new album this week. Still letting it percolate, but I think I like it.

    By the way, I'm from SW Virginia too. Roanoke, to be exact.

    blessings on your blogging,

    Mike from the MA

     
  • At 1:37 PM, Blogger Donna J. Shepherd said…

    Aha! We were thinking alike. *g* Music is a balm for the soul. I couldn't agree more. Or if it's something I find that grates on my nerves (like elevator music in a restaurant) it can be a thorn in my side. Did you know you can work more efficiently by listening to Mozart? I'll have to try that!

    Donna

     

Post a Comment

<< Home