Becky-dot-blog

She rambles a little, rants a little, and otherwise chronicles daily life in southwestern Virginia.

Thursday, March 30, 2006

How Rude!

So I'm in the breakroom this morning, and someone overhears me saying how I'm planning to give my dad tickets to the first and second rounds of the NCAA tournament for his birthday next year, because I found out some of the games are going to be played at Rupp Arena. You know, where the Kentucky Wildcats play.

So this chick goes, "Oh, I've been to Kentucky!" and proceeds to say how she took a tour of Rupp and got to see Churchill Downs and all this other stuff.

Then she says, "I was really surprised what a small town Churchill Downs is in."

And I said, "HUH? Churchill Downs is in Louisville. That's a million people."

She says, "No, it was on this little two-lane road."

And right there, I know she's not talking about Churchill Downs. Because the joint is *right off freaking interstate 65 in the middle of busy, bustling freaking Louisville.*

So I say, still in a puzzled but polite tone of voice, "But Churchill Downs is on I-65."

And she goes, as if this somehow makes her the expert, "But honey, I've been there."

And I say, "I used to live and work in Louisville."

And she says -- get this -- all huffy, "I'm not going to argue with you," and walks off practically with steam coming out of her ears.

OK, I'm not claiming to be a racing industry expert or anything, but I think someone who was born and raised somewhere probably knows the geography a little better than someone who drove through there once.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:38 PM, Blogger Thomas J Wolfenden said…

    This reminds me of when I first moved to Arizona. My wife (at the time) and myself were at the local American Legion post in Chino Valley. I was wearing a Philadelphia Police Department T-Shirt and one of the members walked up to us and introduced himself.

    On seeing my T-shirt, he said he was stationed at the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard a while back when he was in the navy. He then proceeded to go on a 20 minute rant about how sucky Philadelphia was, how all the people in the city were rude and obnoxious and how much he hated it there...

    When he finished he asked; "So where are you folks from?"

    Me, deadpan: "Philadelphia..."

     

Post a Comment

<< Home