Becky-dot-blog

She rambles a little, rants a little, and otherwise chronicles daily life in southwestern Virginia.

Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Protect Us From the Rabid News/Talk Radio Fans

Sometimes I think I'm living in a comedy of errors.

Life really is stranger than fiction.

Next week, I've learned that DH and I will be traveling with several dozen of my radio station's biggest fans. We'll be making a trip of political significance with them, and DH and I get to go along at no cost... as representatives of the radio station.

The average news/talk listener who is gung-ho enough to go along on a trip like this is probably not the sort of person you want to spend several days with. Allow me to elaborate. Now, I'm rather conservative myself; keep that in mind. But these are EXTREME conservatives who listen to people like Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity as though every word these people speak is the gospel truth, to be written down and treasured and passed on to their children. These are the same people who will call within ten seconds of a power outage to ask why we have silenced the only voice of truth and wisdom in their lives. God forbid we should interrupt their broadcasts to tell of a breaking news story -- this too, is seen as a conspiracy to silence these media giants.

Once again, I'm reminded why I use my maiden name on the air and my phone number is not listed.

But in all seriousness... isn't that a little scary? To be so wrapped up in the projected personas of these folks as to put them on a pedestal up there with Jesus? It seems almost dangerous to me. I'm not trying to say these fellas aren't good at what they do - that's why they make the big bucks and I don't. Nor am I trying to counter their message. But to be so completely wrapped up in staying tuned six hours a day to their shows? To be convinced that they, and only they, offer wisdom? Um... hello, the Bible? Um... what about Jesus?

Lord, help me never to confuse mortal men as the only purveyors of truth. You are the way, the truth and the life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home